Specifications for Article Submissions
The deadline for your article is 9:00 a.m. on the first day of the month preceding publication.
Our system works with Windows files. The file formats that are acceptable include:
- Microsoft Word or Word Perfect
- Text only (.txt)
- Pictures Files should be sent as hi-resolution JPEG only
E-mail your article, ad or picture to:
Please don’t bother with fancy formatting or styling; use single spacing, leave out tabs, page numbers, margin justification, etc. However, if you want to emphasize certain text, go ahead and use underlining or bolding as needed. Any questions please contact our office at 847-244-3143.
If you are a new author for The Docket, please submit head shot and a short bio about yourself along with you first article submission. We like to properly acknowledge our authors.
Length restrictions are applicable as follows:
- Maximum Feature Article (1): 3500 words (or up to 4 Docket pages, including art (2)).
- Minimum Feature Article: 1500 words (at least 1 ¾ Docket pages, including art).
- Maximum Letter to Editor: 825 words (or up to 1 Docket page, including up to ¼ page art).
- Maximum Press Release for Bar Briefs: 400 words (or ½ Docket page plus up to ¼ page art allowed).
- Maximum Own Column or other article: 2100 words (or 2 ½ Docket pages, including art).
- Minimum Own Column or other article: 620 words (at lease ¾ Docket page, or at least 1 Docket page with art).
- The Editorial Board at its discretion chooses feature articles. Length is not the only criterion employed by the Board in choosing feature articles for publication.
- As a rule of thumb, ½ page of art is approximately 400 words of text. If your article includes art, such as graphs, tables, photos, etc., subtract 400 words from the maximum number of words allowed for each ½ page of art submitted, to arrive at the Docket page maximum. If art is less than ½ page, text may be reduced ratably.